the rattlebox

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

the rattlebox

Post by davenport on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:18 am

i wont bore you all with giving the start to finish work done so far but 1 of the fairly detailed blogs can be found here:

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9959

and all the pics (theres a shit load!) can be found here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/slammed106/?start=all

as for up to date stuff??

well i`ve been in the process of remaking the steering arms, 2 reasons.. 1- with the car lowered the angle they sit at resembles a V insted of sitting level... 2- with the std pug ball joint in the strut theres no scope for adjusting the steering arm angle which is partly how bumpsteer is reduced...

so...

steering arms... the outer ball joint was replaced with a 5/8th UNF ball joint and to keep a few things std i decided to keep the inboard joint the pug item..

this was a good idea in my head as its an off the shelf bit and its got some lovely rubber seals.. unfortunatly it also has a M14x1.5 left hand thread!! so... a phone call tracy tools and 30 quid lighter i had a tap to cut the threaded inserts that get welded into the ends of the tube...

also while rummaging around at work i found some lovely inch wide stainless straps with an M6 eyebolt on each end.. i think they were intended for an IVECO or DAF (i guess at this point i should mention for a day job i make shiny stuff for show trucks..) anyhow they were a bit long so i recut a slot and re-spotwelded the to suit width on my tank and will stick some inch wide rubber to the underside...

with a bit of luck it might be on its wheels again soon....

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: the rattlebox

Post by martyboi on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:13 am

lookes like you've thought of everything stu Cool you dont work at priden do you?
martyboi
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://trackcarz.coolbb.net

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:16 am

haha no mate just round the corner from priden... i work for bailey truck parts.. we do a few stainless jobs for the priden truck boys though and have worked with most of the lads there at some point in previous employers...

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by martyboi on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:20 am

ahh right Cool i know dell from priden, he has done a couple of bits for me on the corsa Laughing
martyboi
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scuderia on Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:21 am

davenport wrote:i wont bore you all with giving the start to finish work done so far but 1 of the fairly detailed blogs can be found here:

and all the pics (theres a shit load!) can be found here:

as for up to date stuff??

well i`ve been in the process of remaking the steering arms, 2 reasons.. 1- with the car lowered the angle they sit at resembles a V insted of sitting level... 2- with the std pug ball joint in the strut theres no scope for adjusting the steering arm angle which is partly how bumpsteer is reduced...

so...

steering arms... the outer ball joint was replaced with a 5/8th UNF ball joint and to keep a few things std i decided to keep the inboard joint the pug item..

this was a good idea in my head as its an off the shelf bit and its got some lovely rubber seals.. unfortunatly it also has a M14x1.5 left hand thread!! so... a phone call tracy tools and 30 quid lighter i had a tap to cut the threaded inserts that get welded into the ends of the tube...

also while rummaging around at work i found some lovely inch wide stainless straps with an M6 eyebolt on each end.. i think they were intended for an IVECO or DAF (i guess at this point i should mention for a day job i make shiny stuff for show trucks..) anyhow they were a bit long so i recut a slot and re-spotwelded the to suit width on my tank and will stick some inch wide rubber to the underside...

with a bit of luck it might be on its wheels again soon....

That's brilliant! some serious work done there Cool way above what i could do or afford to do that's for sure Embarassed may be one day Smile all i need is the time money tools and space to do it and iam off Rolling Eyes

Cheers Scuderia
Scuderia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport on Mon May 03, 2010 12:13 pm

not much tbh but a few pics from the past few visits to the workshop...

played with camber:

made a list of "jobs to do" (depressing!!!!)

got the engine in:

and either by sheer luck or my natural skill and ability (probably the first option tbh) the bodies are pointing in the right direction on my inlet manifold!!

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scuderia on Mon May 03, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi Pal,

Looking bloody Nice,love the throttle bodies?what are you using??

Ah the list of things to do Rolling Eyes i have one of them and as much as iam not going as far as you its still growing Rolling Eyes they never seem to get any smaller do they...only grow in size lol,

Keep up the good work!

Cheers Scuderia
Scuderia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport on Mon May 03, 2010 1:30 pm

the trouble is without an actual list of jobs i usually end up going down the workshop.. cracking open a beer then sitting in the car making "bwaaaAAAAARRP bwaaaAAAAARRP" noises.. then going home...

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by martyboi on Tue May 04, 2010 5:50 am

davenport wrote:the trouble is without an actual list of jobs i usually end up going down the workshop.. cracking open a beer then sitting in the car making "bwaaaAAAAARRP bwaaaAAAAARRP" noises.. then going home...

LMFAO rofl ive got lists like that too lol

looking bloody awesome mate, nice to see you have made proper inlet tracts for the boddies instead of just using a big chunk of silicon hose Cool
any idea what engine management you going to use with them?
martyboi
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scuderia on Tue May 04, 2010 12:11 pm

davenport wrote:the trouble is without an actual list of jobs i usually end up going down the workshop.. cracking open a beer then sitting in the car making "bwaaaAAAAARRP bwaaaAAAAARRP" noises.. then going home...

lol as you do Smile ,i tell you what iam sure the workshop makes the difference? compared to working in a small garage like i have to Embarassed on saying that it is only a little car so that helps lol,

Cheers Scuderia
Scuderia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport on Wed May 05, 2010 11:36 am

martyboi wrote:

i`ll be using a TDF ec1.. to many that wll simply mean nothing but some info can be found here:

http://www.enginecontrol.co.uk/

the company is run by a friend of mine called Matt, who used to be a tech boffin @ pectel (F1.. lemans.. wrc.. ya know.. boring stuff!) i`ve known him for a while now and he`s a very helpful and clever bloke.. he`ll be doing the Looms/supply ecu/calibrate dash and map the car once done..

Scuderia wrote:
i tell you what i am sure the workshop makes the difference? compared to working in a small garage like i have to Embarassed on saying that it is only a little car so that helps lol,

Cheers Scuderia

i wont lie i know i`m very very fortunate to have access to the workshp and equipment i do.. i use a few other forums and see people doing clutch`s and engine swaps in the rain and snow sometimes on the side of the road and to those i seriously seriously take my hat off!.. it does make life a lot easier having the space and equipment on occasions but sometimes no matter how much room or tools you have there`ll be a job thats just a c*nt.. pure and simple.. eventually everyone gets 1.. lol... snapped exhaust stud... rounded off torx bolt.. lol

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scuderia on Wed May 05, 2010 10:32 pm

davenport wrote:
martyboi wrote:

i`ll be using a TDF ec1.. to many that wll simply mean nothing but some info can be found here:

http://www.enginecontrol.co.uk/

the company is run by a friend of mine called Matt, who used to be a tech boffin @ pectel (F1.. lemans.. wrc.. ya know.. boring stuff!) i`ve known him for a while now and he`s a very helpful and clever bloke.. he`ll be doing the Looms/supply ecu/calibrate dash and map the car once done..

Scuderia wrote:
i tell you what i am sure the workshop makes the difference? compared to working in a small garage like i have to Embarassed on saying that it is only a little car so that helps lol,

Cheers Scuderia

i wont lie i know i`m very very fortunate to have access to the workshp and equipment i do.. i use a few other forums and see people doing clutch`s and engine swaps in the rain and snow sometimes on the side of the road and to those i seriously seriously take my hat off!.. it does make life a lot easier having the space and equipment on occasions but sometimes no matter how much room or tools you have there`ll be a job thats just a c*nt.. pure and simple.. eventually everyone gets 1.. lol... snapped exhaust stud... rounded off torx bolt.. lol

Hi,

I know what your saying......been there done that...i think we all have lol,

We were planning on moving home 2 years ago but put it off and i have an old school wooden t&g garage at my sister still in flat pac form that's new used that could house my Cento 3 times over lol Very Happy all i need is the garden or place to put it lol,

Nice link,iam still working out in my head what iam doing with my engine and management system?i was to be keeping it as a 1108cc not good i now for a track car but its fun, iam keen to keep it as it came from the factory for Italian events?but the more i think about it using it as track fun iam as well changing it,we'll see,nice link i will keep that in mind,Cheers!!,

Scuderia
Scuderia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by martyboi on Thu May 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Looks like a nice bit of kit davenport Cool
mate i wish i had a workshop, luckily i have acces to a car-port so its not too bad..... but it does mean i have to put everything away when i finnish Laughing if i did have a workshop it would be a fookin tip! rofl
martyboi
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport on Sat May 15, 2010 12:43 pm

scud- try not to get too worried about mangement + engine setups. the wee fiat sounds like it makes you grin as it is so keep enjoying it i say.....

mart- knowing my dad will be in the workshop when i`m not there also means i HAVE to put stuff away.. it`ll either end up moved, moaned at or thrown out if i dont!!

well aint done much recently but been plugging away at annoying stuff.....

boring shizzle first:

digital dash all mounted up
wheel speed sensor + buttons to control the dash ordered

next up.. the eternal issue of fitting tumpets to bike bodies...

silicone tube or the satchell/brown internal beasts were the only real options... but being me i`m doing it differently!!!!!!

a friend of mine did this on his 205/s16/busa bodied car so i know it`ll work!!

some ally flanges are being laser cut that i`ll weld onto the bodies and tap to M6, these will give me the option to fit any 48mm jenvey trumpet (90, 112 or 120mm being my current choices)

to make sure everything is spaced perfectly and the flanges are parallel i also drew a jig up to bolt the flanges to and sit on the bodies during welding..

finally the stainless flange is to bolt onto the ends once welded so i can dremel them clean and get the 48mm bore bang on!!

and.. by the joys of "DWG to image convertor" i give you what i sent to the profilers!

i may very well also do the same on the other end to so the bodies can be bolted had onto the inlet fannymold.....

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by martyboi on Sat May 15, 2010 3:21 pm

some serious thought going into this mate Cool looking forward to seing the trumpets on there Twisted Evil
martyboi
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport on Mon May 17, 2010 2:30 pm

lmao fingers crossed the laser cut stuff will arrive tomorrow/wednesday so should get the flanges tig`d on for the weekend..

trumpets wil have to wait until the start of next month (££££ on house stuff this month!! poxy lawnmowers!!!!)

also a bit of a s*itty day sunday!! during 1 of the many "sit in the car and make rev noises with a beer!" sessions (yes i`m 31 and childish!!) i noticed that when strapped in the top of the dash was obscured by the top of the steering wheel!! a MAJOR oversight on my part.. partly due to me now using a smaller wheel and also dropping the colomn slightly from standard..

but!! despite being busy at work.. tea breaks + lunch = opportunity!!

1 new blanking plate and bracket to hold the display unit..

that bolts nicely onto the stalk mount on the colomn

it needs a tweak clockwise but at least i can see the full display now!!!

fingers crossed a few coats of etch+primer at work tommorow and i can have them all satin black`d ready to fit at the weekend!!

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by martyboi on Mon May 17, 2010 2:45 pm

looks good mate Cool
all that sitting in the car making noises is definately paying off grin
martyboi
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scuderia on Tue May 18, 2010 7:33 am

That's some serious work your doing there Cool keep it up its looking great,i sure can't wait to hear and see it in action,have you any idea when your going to be rolling it out the garage Twisted Evil

Cheers Scuderia
Scuderia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hotrod192 on Tue May 18, 2010 7:45 am

looking good mate keep the pics coming.i welded a cage into a 106 a couple of monthes back he had put a vtr engine in it and tuned it a fair bit,i couldnt believe how quick it was.
hotrod192
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport on Tue May 18, 2010 12:45 pm

i have no idea when it`ll be done... i buy bits as and when i can afford them and some months the house bills and other stuff take priority,,

aye the VTR lump is very similar to what i have.. 8v pug/citroen TU derivative.. theyre a pretty bombproof and pokey ol engine considering they first rolled donkeys years ago...

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport on Sat May 22, 2010 5:07 am

the dash mount and infill are painted...

the laser cut shizzle arrived today so...

steel jig had the ally flanges bolted up to it.. it was then layed onto the bodies and they were tiggy-tig`d onto the bodies..

hey presto all cleaned up and the world of jenvey trumpets is all mine!!!

on a boring techy geek note... just gotta say the ally used in the gsxr castings was VERY nice to weld.. suprising clean compared to some of the shite i`ve tried in the past!!

also a BIG thankyou to Jason@polarsystems for the quick (and cheap) laser cutting..

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hotrod192 on Sat May 22, 2010 5:45 am

some of those ally manifolds are really crap no matter how clean you get them you still get black spots in the weld,very annoying.
still thats looking the dogs bollocks.
hotrod192
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scuderia on Sun May 23, 2010 1:29 am

Yum yum, looking sweet!!,love this thread,keep them updates coming it mate,

Cheers Scuderia

Last edited by Scuderia on Sun May 23, 2010 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Scuderia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davenport on Sun May 23, 2010 2:10 am

with a bit of luck matt from TDF is coming over today to collect my ol snap on rollcab and go through any bits i`ve missed that need to be done for him to wire in..

off the top of my head i know i need to do:

GTI driveshaft + wheel speed sensor
fuel tank level guage
high pressure fuel pump needs mounting

hopefully thats it but then i can trailor it over to kimbolton to let him do his thing.. get it back.. finish the fuel system + bodies and get the bugger fired up!!

davenport
Stig Of The Dump
Stig Of The Dump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by martyboi on Sun May 23, 2010 4:08 pm

Me likey Twisted Evil you wont have to make the engine noises yourself for much longer mate Laughing
martyboi
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum